Each year, ACC conducts a global study of the issues and environment in which CLOs operate. This year's report is based upon feedback from nearly 1,300 CLOs in 48 countries. With the publication of the ACC Chief Legal Officers 2018 Survey, ACC marks the start of the Age of the Chief Legal Officer. Inside the report, find out more about the role of the CLO, how the regulatory climate has ushered in the Age of the Chief Legal Officer, and get the law department benchmarks you need to make management decisions that positively impact your company.
The ACC Chief Legal Officers 2018 Survey offers an opportunity to get data that supports the imperative for the CLO to report directly to the CEO. Other notable findings include what keeps CLOs up at night, reporting structures, how CLOs view the future of departmental budgets and staffing, litigation and contract workload, and where data breaches and regulatory issues have the greatest impact.
The 2018 report includes an executive summary, key findings, global and industry benchmarking metrics, and an in-depth question-by-question analysis. Key metrics include:
- Legal department spend by company revenue
- Internal, external, and total spend as a percentage of revenue
- Legal department staffing numbers (including lawyers, paralegals, legal operations and administrative professionals)
- Matters handled by the legal department (litigation, compliance investigations, contracts)
- Data breaches, regulatory investigations and patent trolls
For in-house counsel, the report can help you:
- Learn more about the status and influence of the CLO and why it's so important to have a seat at the table
- Evaluate your department's use of resources in relation to current trends in outsourcing versus insourcing work
- Benchmark staffing and budget trends among similar companies
- Stay up-to-date on the most commonly used fee structures
For law firms and legal service providers, the report can help you:
- Anticipate trends and types of work likely to be outsourced by in-house counsel
- Evaluate issues of greatest importance to CLOs by region and industry
- Learn more about how CLOs intend to spend their time in 2018
Custom benchmarking is available. Contact the ACC research department at email@example.com to discuss industry-specific requests and custom results of interest. You may also contact Robin Myers, director of research, at +1.202.293.4103 ext 396.